Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sharing Jesus

After coming to Christ nine years ago, I was slow to share my faith.  I didn't feel like I had all the answers.  I didn't feel prepared to answer questions, if the person I shared with had any.  I felt inadequate and incapable of sharing something that was new to me. 

But this attitude continued as the years went by.  Yes, I was growing in the Lord.  Yes, I was building my relationship with Jesus.  But I wasn't sharing Him.  Not with family, not with friends, not with strangers. 

My family did notice differences in me.  My relationship with Jesus was changing me.  But I wouldn't step out in faith and trust that the Lord would give me the words to share. 

Romans 1:16 says "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes..." I know I had heard this verse before, but when our Pastor mentioned it last weekend, I realized I had been allowing my fear of what others might think, stop me from sharing.  In effect, my actions were saying I was ashamed of the gospel.

I am not sure exactly when this changed, but at some point, I found myself saying what I was thinking.  If someone asked a question, I didn't just have a Jesus answer in my head.  I would also let it out of my mouth.  And it was freeing.  The more I shared, the easier it was and is to share. 

As I continue to share, I encourage you to do the same.  The Holy Spirit will give you the words and you never know how your words might change the life of those with whom you share.  Even if there is no immediate effect, you are sowing the seeds.

"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously." 2 Corinthians 9:6

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment