Monday, August 12, 2013

Overcome

I wrote this last year in June and it was posted on my original blog which I am no longer using.  It seems to fit again in my life at this time as well.

I am not sure why but lately I just keep hearing/seeing the word overcome.  In songs on the Christian radio station I listen to, in the Bible as I read through God's word. It seems to be a very important concept but one which I did not think much of previously.

I have struggled with many things since becoming a Christian - depression, fear, anxiety.  And with God's help, I have overcome.  I think this is why the term has come to mean something to me.  Following Christ has enabled me to overcome things that for a time were disabling.  I had allowed depression to overcome me, to keep me from reaching out to others, to stop me from leading a full life in Christ.

I had allowed fear to freeze me in my tracks and prevent me from fulfilling God's dream for my life.

I had allowed anxiety to prevent me from following God's leading in my life.

But I know that "God did not give us the spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline" 2 Tim 1:7.  And so each time I encounter these things that threaten my relationship with Jesus, I try to remember to look to the Lord and have verses memorized that relate to each.  Obviously, I look to the verse in Timothy to assist when I am fearful.

I look to a verse in Phillippians to assist when I am anxious "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Phil 4:6-7.  This has been a favorite of mine for quite a few years.  I think it was the second verse I ever memorized after giving my life to the Lord.

And the Psalms that David wrote are particularly helpful whenever I feel that I am falling into the hole of depression "I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.  Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame" Psalm 34:4-5.  There are numerous Psalms that encourage me and lead me toward Jesus instead of into the darkness and self-centeredness that is depression.

I pray that one of these verses might be a help to someone reading this.

In His Grace..

No comments:

Post a Comment