Monday, September 30, 2013

His Promises

"But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness." 2 Peter 3:13

Our pastor gave a fantastic sermon yesterday about the water mentioned throughout the new testament. While I have read the new testament quite a few times, I often find that I am just reading it but not truly understanding what it has to say.  This was the case yesterday as well.

I am not going to try to repeat his sermon, as I would not be able to do it justice.  However, the takeaway message was one that is worth attempting to repeat.  If we expect to overflow with God's love, compassion and grace in the way that Jesus did, we must fill ourselves with God's Word.  It is our weapon, it is our strength, it is our courage and it is needed daily.

Our pastor suggested reading one chapter of the Bible every day, choosing a verse from that chapter and meditating on it throughout the day.  Write it on a card that you keep with you and refer to it throughout the work, school or play day. As this becomes a habit and you continue to meditate on Scripture each and every day, eventually you will have such a treasure store of verses in your memory that when things come up, as they always do, you will have something to grab a hold of, a verse to hold onto, remembering God's promises and holding tight to them.  

My verse today is above as I am currently reading 2 Peter.  I found it encouraging that after being reminded yesterday by our pastor about God's promises, about living in God's promises and what His Word says instead of what the world says, I was reminded of that today in my verse.  In this verse, we are being reminded to keep an eternal and heavenly perspective as we have been promised a new and fantastic home with Jesus in heaven for all eternity.

I pray I can keep that eternal and heavenly perspective in light of the troubles I will have here on earth.

In His Grace....

No comments:

Post a Comment