Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Continually Learning to be Thankful in ALL Things

I am thankful.  Truly I am because my family and I have been so blessed. 

But then things come along and I have to learn to be thankful in those as well.  Even just little things like our little man coming down with a cold....and giving it to me. 

My husband and I have been praying about direction for him in his career.  He got an interview for a new job.  And while it might be promising, the pay cut to start would be great.  Can we even manage it?  Do we want to?  Is this God's plan for us?

Then one of the members of our small group was unhappy at his job.  He got an interview with a recruiter, got an interview with a new company, got the job with a 30% pay increase.  Why can't this happen for my husband?  What are we doing wrong? 

I know the answer. 

I know we aren't doing anything wrong.  We are in this place, at this time in our lives for a reason.  We just don't know the reason.  We can't see into the future and we can't see the whole story. 

And that's when I struggle to give thanks.

When I feel exhausted and lousy and have to blow my nose every couple of minutes.  When I have to get up with our little man several times a night because he can't breathe through his nose.  When my husband comes back from an interview that we were so hopeful about with the news of the pay decrease it would be.  When our friend is given such great news at exactly the same time.

I struggle to give thanks. 

Yet Scripture says to give thanks in ALL things.  Not just the good things, the easy things.  Not just when we feel good and are happy.  Not just when everything is going well.  We are to give thanks in EVERYTHING. 

Thank you Lord for this cold that reminds me how fortunate I am to be healthy most of the time.  Thank you for this cold that makes me take time to rest.  Thank you for my little man waking up which reminds me how lovely it is that he sleeps through the night most of the time.  Thank you Lord for the good interview my husband had - it has increased his self-confidence and has helped him see a possible change in career. 

Thank you Lord for your ever loving kindness, mercy, grace and LOVE.  That I can ask these things and not give you the gratitude you deserve.  Yet I still know that you LOVE me.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment