Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Moved

We have done it.  We have moved...

Of course, we aren't really finished.  Many of our belongings have ended up in the garage and sunroom and we will, over the next few weeks, move things into the house.  It takes time, and sometimes can be discouraging as we ask each other "have you seen                ?"  But we are so thankful for a house, a yard, a place for all our pets, each other, our family and friends.

One of the gifts I received for Christmas was my very own copy of "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  I have been re-reading it in the evenings before going to bed.  As I read, I am struck by how the truth of what she writes is so evident in my life. 

I spent many years longing for so much.  I felt so alone, unwanted, unneeded and discouraged.  During that time in my life, I had not found the key.  I had not found the amazing things that being thankful can do for one's soul. 

We have a friend that recently brought his wife here from Vietnam.  She spent all of her life so far in poverty, not enjoying the riches we take for granted.  But she has such a joyful spirit and is usually smiling.  I mentioned something about it once and our friend said "she wakes up like this in the morning." 

Perhaps living here in the land of plenty, it is easy to forget how to be thankful?  We feel entitled to so much when really everything we have is a gift from God.  Perhaps living in poverty, you have a daily reminder that everything is a gift?  I don't know, but it is a reminder to me that I must practice gratitude, I must practice being thankful in all things...the hard things, the good things and the painful things.

God is good.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment