Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Temple

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

It was several months ago now, but again I was listening to KLOVE.  I heard a woman call in that was talking about how big she had let herself become.  She was going to drive to the next try outs for the TV show, the Biggest Loser.  Everyone on KLOVE was encouraging and supporting her and I do also.  But I also thought that it was sad.  It was sad that instead of doing what she needed to do for herself, for her son, or for God, she felt she needed a TV show to help her.  I heard later that she was not chosen for the show.

I wanted to encourage her and anyone like her, that regardless of whether you are chosen to be on TV, we all have a responsibility to work on our health and fitness in obedience to God.  I am certainly not in the best shape I could be.  I make poor food choices at times and I do not exercise as much as I should.  It seems that in today's society, it is becoming harder and harder to make good choices.  We are bombarded everywhere we go with fast food and easier meals.  Quicker ways to cook, quicker ways to eat, more things to do, less time to spend with family.

But perhaps God's idea of food was not meant to be fast.  Perhaps the whole idea behind the food we are meant to eat is to spend time preparing it, spend time fellow-shipping as we eat it and expend calories as we clean up.  If we follow this idea, and we include healthy amounts of exercise in the form of riding bikes with our families, playing Frisbee in the back yard, gardening, taking an evening stroll - wouldn't we all be healthier?

I pray that when I make my next food and activity choices, I will remember to treat my body as a temple of the Holy Spirit.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment