Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Entitlement

The idea of entitlement has been popping up in a variety of places lately.

The DJ's were discussing it on the radio in the last few days.  Then my husband and I were discussing it on our way to our small group.  Then the subject came up at our small group.

Why do we, as Americans, feel so entitled?

And it seems that the younger we are, the more entitled we feel?  We feel we deserve the bigger, better, taller, larger, higher                                    (you fill in the blank). 

But why do we deserve it?  What have we done to earn it? 

My parents own their own business and it has been getting harder and harder to find good workers - people that do whatever the job requires.  People that are willing to go the extra mile have become few and far between.

I place myself in this category as well.  I worked for my parents for six and a half years.  I definitely worked hard, but I wasn't willing to go the extra step that my parents are willing to do.  The business did not become my life as it has theirs. 

Where did we lose the work ethic?  What has led to the idea that even if we don't work for it, we deserve it?

God is pretty clear what He thinks about riches and how we gather or spend, " Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten.  Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire.  You have laid up treasure in the last days."  James 5:1-3

I do not say any of this to judge but rather to open my heart to what God wants to teach me.  I know I have much to learn and I pray that I will keep my eyes, ears and heart wide open to His purpose for me.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment