Tuesday, February 5, 2013

For God Might Not Have

As I re-read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, I realize that I will most likely re-read this book any number of times and get different things from it each time I read.

The other evening I was reading Chapter 5 and one sentence jumped out at me.  It was in the context of the author grappling with the injury of one of her son's hands.  She says,

"When I realize that it is not God who is in my debt but I who am in His great debt, then doesn't all become gift?
For He might not have."

God might not have sent His Son to die for our sins.

He might not have allowed His Son to die an excruciatingly painful death for us.

He might not have loved us so much that He gave us a way to find everlasting life with Him.

He might not have provided us a way to have a deeper relationship with Him.

There are so many ways to complete this thought.  And it struck me what the author is expressing.  Even the things that are hard, are gifts from God.  They may be gifts to hone our talents, they may be gifts that cause us to really lean on Him.  They may be gifts that are so difficult to bear that the only thing we can do is turn to Him in our grief.  Yet, they are gifts.  Although we cannot see the whole picture, He can.

We must trust that He has our best interest at heart.

And during those times we must lean on Him for our strength.

In His Grace...



No comments:

Post a Comment