Friday, February 8, 2013

Making the Right Choice

Our little man will be attending Kindergarten this coming Fall.  How this happened so quickly, I cannot say.  It seems like just yesterday I was holding a new born baby in my arms and at the same time it seems so long ago.

Our area has many different schools - charter, magnet, alternative - and while we cannot be assured that we can get him into whatever school we want, there is the option to open enroll him into a school that is not our neighborhood school. 

We recently moved and that move landed us directly across the street from a good school.  It is a magnet school which focuses on math and science.  And did I mention it is directly across the street?  But there is also a school across town that is a dual-immersion school for Spanish and English.  I think being fluent in a second language would be increasingly valuable in our home state of California. 

So we must decide.

What is the best choice for our little man?  How do you determine this when he's only 4 and 1/2 years old?  How can I know what would be the best option for him?  Pretty simple; I can't. 

I can educate myself on the different options available.  I can pay attention to what interests him - math, mechanics (how things work), music, reading - and what does not interest him - crafts, drawing.  Then I can make what I call an educated choice knowing that what I am truly falling back on is this:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:4-7

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment