Monday, October 7, 2013

Love and obedience

"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands.  As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love."  2 John 6

Eye opening, isn't it?  How is love defined in this passage?  Isn't it defined as obedience?  Is that how we usually think of love?  I know it isn't how I usually defined love.  Caring, compassion, kindness, gentleness...those seem like good ways to show love.  But obedience...I really hadn't ever reached that conclusion.

But in thinking of parenting my own little man, it is what I expect from him.  I expect him to obey me out of love for me.  And it doesn't always go smoothly.  Teaching a 5 year old boy to obey is a challenging prospect.  However, it is what we are trying to teach.  And how fitting that this is exactly what God is telling us in his Word.  That when we are obeying his commands, we are showing Him our love.

I pray that I can show God my love by being obedient to His commands, especially when they are things that I am unsure about doing.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment