Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Lukewarm

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm - neither not nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth."  Revelation 3:15-16

In reading the notes at the bottom of the page in my study bible, Laodicea was a wealthy city with a water supply problem.  At one point, they built an aqueduct to bring water to the city from hot springs but when the water reached the city, it was only lukewarm.  Lukewarm water feels fine if you are washing hands or feet, but it is not very nice for much else.

But this isn't really what this verse is referring to.  Upon further reading, Jesus is really talking about the church and how the believers didn't stand up for anything - they had become indifferent.

I remember this verse from reading the book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan a couple of years ago.  I did not remember where the verse was or what it contained until I read it early this morning.  And it had the same effect on me now as it did then.  I remember reading this part of "Crazy Love" and feeling upset.  Is this what I was, a "lukewarm" believer?  Not taking a stand for anything of importance and being indifferent and idle. How alarming that by being indifferent, by not fighting for my beliefs, I could be "spit" out of the mouth of God.  I knew then that this is not what I wanted.  I still know today that this is not what I want.

I want to proclaim God's goodness.  I want to proclaim God's love, grace, mercy, compassion, gentleness, kindness and strength.  But how do we do this on a regular basis?  I think it can be difficult in our world of selfishness, hurry and lack of caring.

But we can do it, through our actions to the broken people around us, through our speech, through our selfless deeds and directly, by witnessing to those around us.  I have found it difficult, but I find that as I practice (as I tell my little man, practice makes perfect) it gets easier and easier.  I cannot say that I am preaching the word wherever I go, but I can insert God's wisdom and love for unbelievers in my daily life.  And I pray that He will give me words to continue and to be on fire for him, not lukewarm.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment