Friday, October 11, 2013

Triumph

I have to admit, when I have read Revelation in the past, it has not meant a lot to me.  I found the imagery difficult to interpret and I got lost in what John describes.  So while I had read the book of Revelation several times, I just didn't get it.  I still may not be getting it, but by choosing a verse each day and meditating on that verse, I have been able to decipher more meaning than ever before.  And I have found it very encouraging (I am only in chapter 5 so it may not continue to be encouraging) but so far it has brought me hope.  Like the verse I chose today:

"Then one one of the elders said to me, 'Do not weep!  See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, has triumphed.  He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.'" Revelation 5:5

While in the past, I tended to get bogged down in the imagery - what does it mean by "Lion of the tribe of Judah", and what is it talking about a "scroll and seven seals"?  I would allow these things to confuse me and I wouldn't see the big picture.

But today, I can see the big picture.  Perhaps it is from reading the Bible from cover to cover last year and this, or maybe I am further along in my walk with God but for whatever reason, today was different.

I can see that the "Lion of the tribe of Judah" is referring to Jesus and the lion symbolizes His power.  "The root of David" is referring to Jesus being from David's family line.  And the verse is saying that Jesus has triumphed - he has overcome Satan and is able to lead us, His followers, to triumph over the information contained in the scroll.  Dictionary.com defines triumph as "the act, fact, or condition of being victorious."  While I still do not know what information is in the scroll, I can be encouraged because this verse is telling us that through Jesus, we will be victorious over the evil one, which is fantastic news.

I pray that I can continue to increase my faith in Jesus so I can be a part of His triumph.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment