Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It's challenging to feed a four year old

My four year old was, at one time, a terrific eater.  He didn't ever like baby food (the pureed kind or cereal kind) so we just cut what we were eating into very small pieces and that was what he ate.  He ate all sorts of things - zucchini, peas, green beans, cauliflower, carrots, pears, apples, plums, strawberries, pasta, rice, bread, chicken, beef, lamb - whatever we ate, he ate.

Then he turned two.  And the eating came to a sudden halt.  Of course he still eats, just a very small selection of what he used to eat.  He somehow knows that a fruit is a fruit or a vegetable is a vegetable even if he has never seen it before or heard what it is called.  He can spot the tiniest piece of vegetable mixed into his food.  And he has a stubborn streak a mile wide (unfortunately he got it from me). 

We can have the same fight I had with my father - I sat at the table not eating the fried green tomato on my plate until he sent me to bed.  Fortunately it did not show up on my breakfast plate in the morning or the stand-off would have continued.  Or I can do as it seems the current thought is - not worry about it.  He'll start eating it when he's ready. 

While I understand not making food an issue (I must pick my battles), it also seems like by not forcing the issue we are giving him alot of control.  Control that he might not be ready to handle at the ripe old age of four. 

It also seems somewhat unbiblical.  After all, the Bible does say "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." Ephesians 6:1  By giving him control over this relatively small issue, are we giving him the impression that he doesn't really need to obey us in everything?  I have recently come to the conclusion that I think we are. 

I am unsure of the solution, but I will be praying about it and seeking the Lord's help.  After all, God does want what is best for our little man.  He wants to build his character even if it means he won't be quite as comfortable, just as He does for us.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment