Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Be Joyful Always

Our small group finished the Fireproof study and moved on to study a book of the Bible.

The book of James.

It starts with "My brothers and sisters, when you have many kinds of troubles, you should be full of joy, because you know that these troubles test your faith, and this will give you patience." James 1:2-3, NCV

If you have been following my blog at all, you know that my family is facing a number of trials - losing our house, health issues and relational struggles.  I don't know about you, but I have not been one to journey through my troubles with joy.  These meaning of these two words seem far from each other in my mind. 

Dictionary.com defines trouble as "to disturb the mental calm and contentment of; worry; distress; agitate," and joy as "the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation."  So how do we go about putting these two things together?

Scripture tells us to "Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16

The answer yet again - give thanks.

And so I give thanks for the many blessings we are given every day and I pray that this time, for a little bit longer, I can keep my focus on giving thanks.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment