Thursday, October 4, 2012

Perfectionism and Pride

As I was working on yesterday's post about pride, God nudged me about something else.  Something else with which I struggle.

Perfectionism: "a personal standard, attitude, or philosophy that demands perfection and rejects anything less." Dictionary.com

This is something that I have lived with my entire life.  My parents tell me that I wouldn't try to do anything new unless I knew I could do it well.  I am still working on this issue. 

But as I read the verses about pride in Scripture, it became apparent to me that perfectionism is led by pride. 

Pride: "a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct..." Dictionary.com

Scripture tells me that only one person has ever been or will ever be perfect -

God/Jesus

"As for God, his way is perfect..." 2 Samuel 22:31

"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

No matter how hard I try, no matter what I do, I will never be perfect.  I am a human being, I am flawed and I live in a sinful world.  By trying to be perfect, I set myself up for disappointment because I am trying to prove myself and please those around me. 

There is only one I need to please and that is God.

I pray that I will keep my focus on Him and work toward pleasing Him based on what He has written in Scripture.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment