Monday, November 5, 2012

Comfort vs. Character

We ran into a friend at church this morning.  I asked her how it was going.  She said it was difficult right now.  That she is dealing with a number of hard things.  Then she said something that really struck home with me.  She said, "I get so stuck on my comfort, when God is only interested in my character."

Wow, can I relate.

I want the comfort of my home...but it is not part of God's plan for me right now.

I want the comfort of no pain...but it is not part of God's plan for me right now.

I want the comfort of an easy marriage...and one day we might have one, but we are currently in a growth phase.

I become so focused on all the things that are not going according to my plan, I forget that my plan is not necessarily God's plan.  I forget that oftentimes, God's people go through things so that we can comfort others when they are going through something similar.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." 2 Corinthians 1:4

I also forget that while I may be thinking of my comfort, that is not as much of a concern to God.  He wants me to grow, he wants me to lean on Him, He wants me to develop my character.  Living in comfort with no challenges will not develop my character.  It will lead to laziness and sloth. 

When I have to lean on God in my everyday life in order to make it through the day, I can be sure that God is working through me to develop stronger, more compassionate, more loving character - someone that He is proud to call one of His children.

Thank you Father!

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment