Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Judging Others

"My dear brothers and sisters, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, never think some people are more important than others....You are making some people more important than others, and with evil thoughts you are deciding that one person is better...This royal law is found in the Scriptures: 'Love your neighbor as you love yourself.'  If you obey this law you are doing right.  But if you treat one person as being more important than another, you are sinning.  You are guilty of breaking God's law.  A person who follows all of God's law but fails to obey even one command is guilty of breaking all the commands in that law." James 2:1-10

Our small group has been studying James.  What a challenging book of the Bible.  I had read through it before, but as we study it, as we dig deeper into the information within, I find that I am failing at so many of God's commands.

As a child of two highly educated and critical people, I am very familiar with judging others.  I myself have been judged and while I would like to say I went the opposite direction, in fact I did not.  I have followed in their footsteps.  Seeing the world through judgemental and critical eyes and thoughts. 

This is something I have struggled with since becoming a Christian.  I know it is not the way of Jesus Christ, but what a difficult thing to change.  It is only through God's grace and will, and the Holy Spirit's divine intervention that I can change this part of myself. 

It is a constant challenge, one that I have lifted up to God many times.

I will continue to give this part of myself to God, until I find that it has been replaced by a gentle, loving spirit.  One that can accept others for who God created them to be.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment