Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Grandfather's Bible

I discovered on a bookshelf, on a visit home, my Grandfather's bible.  It has his name embossed in gold lettering on the leather cover.  It is a Revised Standard Version. 

My Grandfather has not been here for many years.  He passed away when I was about twelve years old.  I did not learn much about his faith before he passed. 

What a treasure it is to find his bible.  To see what he has written on one of the front pages:

"Psalms I like - 1, 8, 15, 18, 19, 23, 24, 25 - Teach me thy ways; O Lord; 27 - The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear; 46 - God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble; 48 - Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised; 84 - How lovely is thy dwelling place O Lord of Hosts; 90 - Lord Thou has been our dwelling place; 100 - Make a joyful noise to the Lord; 103 - Bless the Lord , O my soul; 118, 121 - I lift up my eyes to the hills; 136, 139, 145"

When I discovered his bible in the shelf, I was new to faith; what an encouragement to see some of my grandfather's favorite verses.  To know that there was faith in my family and to feel that link with generations past. 

I pray that one day I will see him and my grandmother in heaven.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment