Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Judgement Seat of Christ

Our pastor has been preaching on a series called "After".  We have learned about heaven (not floating around on clouds playing the harp) and about hell (I don't want anyone I know to go there). 

The sermon this past weekend was on judgement.  The two different types of judgement and what we will be judged on.  I had learned previously that salvation is through faith alone, not works.  What I had not learned is that works will determine our reward.

Since giving my life to Christ, I found it difficult to understand how the person who had lived their entire life working for Jesus, perhaps as a missionary or serving Him as a pastor in the ministry in some way, would end up in the same place as the murderer on death row who gives his life to Christ minutes before dying.  That didn't seem right to me.   

However, in our teaching on Sunday, I learned this is not exactly how it works.   Yes, these two people will end up in the same place because they have both been saved by their faith in Christ.  However, at the judgment seat of Christ (for all believers) they will receive vastly different rewards. 

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:9

"For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5:10

"For we will all stand before God's judgment seat." Romans 14:10

"But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.  God 'will give to each person according to what he has done.' Romans 2:5-6

What a sobering thought - I will be rewarded based on my good works here on earth.

Am I fulfilling what God would have me do?  Probably not.

How can I better use my talents, time and energy for His glory? 

I pray He will inspire me and instill in me the strength, the courage and the words to do His will.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment