Wednesday, November 28, 2012

In everything...give thanks...again

God seems to be giving me the same message over and over again - perhaps I am slow to learn this particular lesson. 

I have been re-reading one of my favorite series of books, The Mitford series, by Jan Karon.  Here is an excerpt of what I read last night from the book In This Mountain:

"In everything...give thanks."

Father Tim paused and looked at those gathered before him.  At Emma Newland...Gene Bolick...Dooley Barlowe...Pauline Leeper...Hope Winchester...Helene Pringle.  Around the nave his eyes gazed, drawing them close.

" In everything, give thanks.  That's all.  That's this morning's message.

" If you believe as I do that Scripture is the inspired Word of God, then we see this not as a random thought or an oddly clever idea of His servant, Paul, but as a loving command issued through the great apostle.

"Generally, Christians understand that giving thanks is good and right.

"Though we don't do it often enough, it's easy to have a grateful heart for food and shelter, love and hope, health and peace.  But what about the hard stuff, the stuff that darkens your world and wounds you to the quick?  Just what is this everything business?

"It's the hook.  It's the key.  Everything is the word on which this whole powerful command stands and has its being.

"Please don't misunderstand; the word thanks is crucial.  But a deeper spiritual truth, I believe, lies in giving thanks in ...everything.

"In loss of all kinds.  In illness.  In depression.  In grief.  In failure.  And, of course, in health and peace, success and happiness.  In everything.

"There'll be times when you wonder how you can possibly thank Him for something that turns your life upside down; certainly there will be such times for me.  Let us, then, at times like these, give thanks on faith alone...obedient, trusting, hoping, believing."

Yes, it is a novel.  But what truth it holds. 

I realized today that I am at peace with what is going on with our house.  I am doing my best to give thanks in everything.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment